…to Gentleman’s Residence

Posted on by

Springfield Tyrells was built in 1888.
It may have been designed by architect Frederic Chancellor, who designed many buildings in Chelmsford.

Springfield Tyrells WatercolourCharles Bramston Osborne Gepp – owner of Springfield Tyrells from 1888 to 1907

Gepp & SonsCharles Bramston Osborne Gepp was a solicitor in the family business Gepp & Sons, who have offices in Chelmsford to this day.
He took over the business after his father died, with his brother Walter Payne Gepp. WP lived at Maynetrees, the family home, and CBO moved to Springfield village. He lived at 1 Upper Terrace (now 413 Springfield Road, just past Oxford Court).

In 1888, Charles Bramston Osborne Gepp bought the field called Tyrells from Francis Johnson, Builder and Contractor, who had purchased it from Mary Isabella Pearson, second wife and widow of the Rector of All Saints, Springfield.

He had a large house built, probably designed by Frederic Chancellor and called it ‘Springfield Tyrells’.

In 1891 he was living there with four house servants and a gardener in the lodge.
On 27 September 1893, he married Elizabeth Mary Clarke, aged 23, of Halstead.
They had two daughters, Dorothy and Eileen and a son, Charles Edward.

Charles Bramston Osborne Gepp died aged 66 on 14 April 1907.

In 1907, Springfield Tyrells was up for sale again.

His son, Charles Edward Gepp, who had been a pupil at the King Edward VI Grammar School, died on the Somme in July 1916 aged 19

The Ridleys of Essex

RidleysThomas Dixon Ridley, Miller, Brewer and Maltster, owned a large house in Broomfield Road, Chelmsford in the 1860s.
By 1871 he was employing 71 men and 8 boys in his brewery.

His son Walter Ridley took over when his father died. He moved to Redgates, Springfield. (later known as Bishopscourt; Redgates Place was built on its site. The Lodge House still stands at the corner of Stump Lane.)

Walter Ridley died in 1900, aged 52.
His widow Louisa moved to the house called Springfield Tyrells with her family in 1907.

Their neighbours along Springfield Road in 1911 included
Lancaster House – Percy John Bolingbroke, Farmer etc
Yew Lodge – Francis Stunt, Solicitor
Hillside – William Stunt, Solicitor
Oaklea – Fred Luckin Smith, Wholesale Grocer

Two of Louisa Ridley’s sons died in the Great War:
Christopher Mellor Ridley, Captain, 10th (Service) Battalion Essex Regiment was killed in action on Oct 1916. More details about him can be found on the Chelmsford War Memorial site.

Herbert Leslie Ridley, Captain, 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers was killed in action on 15th July 1916, aged just 22.

Louisa and her son Walter Lancelot Ridley put Springfield Tyrells up for sale in 1938.

Leave a Reply