The name Tyrell…
… may have come from a pre-8th century Danish Viking female name Thorold, which was popular in 11th century England, or from the Old French Tirel, which was possibly from a small village on the Seine, now called Triel, or it could have been from a Norman nickname for an obstinate animal and subsequently a stubborn person!
A Sir Walter Tyrell killed King William Rufus in 1100.
They were hunting in the New Forest, when Sir Walter shot an arrow at a deer but instead killed the king. He then galloped off on his horse and escaped to Normandy. The spot is marked by the Rufus Stone.
Around 1483 the Princes in the Tower were allegedly murdered by Sir James Tyrell, possibly helped by his son Thomas Tyrell. It was said that Edward V and his brother Richard Duke of York were murdered on the orders of their uncle, Richard of Gloucester, later Richard III.
Tyrell confessed to the crime in 1502 when under sentence of death for treason.
The Tyrell family & Springfield – a very old connection
In 1425 Thomas Southam released land and shops in Springfield, Chelmsford, Writtle, Little Waltham and Broomfield to Sir John Tyrell.
The Tyrell family of Boreham owned Springfield Hall, Hunts and Dukes, 1488-1505; Springfield with Dukes, 1511-1909, with rental, c. 1690, 1841, all in Springfield.
(Boreham Estate (Tyrell Family) in ‘Estate and Family Archives’ holdings of ERO.
Manorial Court Rolls etc)
In 1498, Humphrey Tyrell owned the Lion Inn, Chelmsford High Street.
1551- first four Governors of Free Grammar School in Chelmsford, later King Edward VI Grammar School:
Sir William Petre Sir Henry Tyrell
Sir Walter Mildmay Thomas Mildmay Esq.
In February 1554 a Tyrell was one of those who signed a letter to Queen Mary ‘from your towne of Chelmsforde’
In 1568 and 1571 Sir Harry Tyrell of Springfield was ordered to repair bridges between Chelmsford and Springfield on Tyrells Marsh
Sir John Tyssen Tyrell, 2nd Baronet (1795-1877), of Boreham House, near Chelmsford, Essex, was Member of Parliament for Essex 1830-1831.
The deeds of the manor and farm of Dukes, Springfield in 1727 were held by Sir John Tyrell.
Sir John Tyrell, 5th Baronet, lived at Heron Hall, Essex.
His daughter Mary Tyrell, was born about 1767, died 1832.
She married Arthur Saunders Gore, 3rd Earl of Arran of the Arran Islands. They had no children. She was a governess to Princess Charlotte of Wales. As a result of her marriage, Mary Tyrell was styled as Countess of Arran of the Arran Islands.
She was described as a “leader in the fashionable world.”
She owned property in Springfield which was bought by Rev Arthur Pearson after her death.
On a map of 1755 of the Manor of Barnes, the land around the area south of the Colchester Road, between Stump Lane and Springfield Green was labelled ‘John Tirrel’
In 1794, John Tyrell Esq was described as an ‘outdweller’, i.e. a landowner who did not live locally
In 1839 the Springfield Tithe Award Map showed that Sir John Thyssen Tyrell owned many acres in Springfield.
Tyrells was owned by the Rev Arthur Pearson and leased by farmer Isaac Blyth of Dukes Farm.
1848 ;White’s Directory of Essex: ‘A great part of the Parish [of Springfield] belongs to Sir J T Tyrell’
Tyrells Close was named after the house – Springfield Tyrells.
Tyrrells School is in Springfield; there are Tyrells Cottages on the way to Boreham and Tyrells Way in Great Baddow.
The new retirement flats at the town end of Springfield Road have been called Tyrells Lodge.
There are also properties in Essex and wider afield with the name Tyrells / Tyrrell.
Also… Tyrrell’s Wine, Tyrrells crisps and Team Tyrrell raced F1 cars from 1968 to 1998.